The Source is the ninth studio album from Ayreon, it was released on April 28th, 2017, under the Mascot Label Group.
The Source marks the return to the science fiction story line of previous Ayreon albums, serving as prequel for 01011001, making it the first one of the chronology as this album explores the origins of the Forever, the alien race from Y which is an important part of the story line. The story starts at the verge of the apocalypse on planet Alpha, follows the Ten, chosen Alphans who will allow the human race to survive, as they escape the planet, travel the stars, and end up on planet Y.
(Listed in order of appearance)
- James LaBrie (Dream Theater) as The Historian
- Tommy Karevik (Kamelot, Seventh Wonder) as The Opposition Leader
- Tommy Giles Rogers, Jr. (Between the Buried and Me) as The Chemist
- Simone Simons (Epica) as The Counselor
- Nils K. Rue (Pagan's Mind) as The Prophet
- Tobias Sammet (Edguy, Avantasia) as The Captain
- Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian) as The Astronomer
- Michael Mills (Toehider) as TH-1
- Russell Allen (Symphony X) as The President
- Michael Eriksen (Circus Maximus) as The Diplomat
- Floor Jansen (Nightwish, ex-After Forever, ex-ReVamp) as The Biologist
- Will Shaw (Heir Apparent), Wilmer Waarbroek, Jan Willem Ketelaars, and Lisette van den Berg (Scarlet Stories) as The Ship's Crew
- Zaher Zorgati (Myrath) as The Preacher
Detailed information on all characters can be found on the page Characters from The Source
- Arjen Anthony Lucassen – Electric and acoustic guitars, bass guitar, mandolin, synthesizers, Hammond, Solina Strings, all other instruments
- Ed Warby – Drums
Guest Musicians Edit
- Joost van den Broek (ex-After Forever) – Grand piano and electric piano
- Mark Kelly (Marillion) – Synthesizer solo on "The Dream Dissolves"
- Maaike Peterse (Kingfisher Sky) – Cello
- Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big, Racer X) – Guitar solo on "Star of Sirrah"
- Guthrie Govan (The Aristocrats, ex-Asia) – Guitar solo on "Planet Y Is Alive!"
- Marcel Coenen (Sun Caged) – Guitar solo on "The Dream Dissolves"
- Ben Mathot – Violin
- Jeroen Goossens (ex-Pater Moeskroen) – Wind instruments
Track list Edit
The album is divided in four "chronicles", with each one of these chapters having an introduction by The Historian in order to gave more context of the history.
Chronicle 1: The 'Frame Edit
Chronicle 2: The Aligning of the Ten Edit
Chronicle 3: The Transmigration Edit
Chronicle 4: The Rebirth Edit
- Bay of Dreams
- Planet Y Is Alive!
- The Source Will Flow
- Journey to Forever
- The Human Compulsion
- March of the Machines
"The Theory of Everything"
|Ayreon Albums|| Next:|